Re: Live patching MC at LPC2020?

Hello,

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 08:59:43AM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> > On Tue 2020-03-31 16:52:04, Joe Lawrence wrote:
> > It seems that there is interest into sharing/discussing some topics.
> > The question is whether is has to be under the LPC even umbrella.
> >
> > Advantages of LPC:
> >
> >    + well defined date
> >    + more attendees (ARM people, Steven Rostedt ;-)
> >    + access to some powerful video conference tool
> >    + access to another LPC content
> >    + support for the conference in the long term
> >

> > Advantages of self-organized event:
> >
> >    + less paperwork?
> >    + cheaper?
> >    + only interested people invited
> >    + date after summer holidays
> >    + more time for the discussion
> >
> > I am in the favor of self organized event. For me, LPC is much less
> > interesting without the personal contact and hallway conversations.
> > All the LPC date is not ideal for me.
>
> I'd prefer LPC proper, as it would be easier (infrastructure is already
> taken care of) and more inclusive (in the past we often got good
> feedback from outside the direct livepatch community).  And it's only
> $50 US.

Yeah, I think having more attendees would be valuable.

> But to be honest I have doubts about the usefulness of any online
> conference, so either way may be equally useless ;-)

Indeed.  OTOH our fellow openSUSE guys seemed to have held a fairly
successful virtual summit earlier this year with some in-development
virtual-conferencing software that does more than just video/audio
streaming ( https://requiredmagic.com/roundtable/ ).  In particular the
possibility to have interactive Q&A with the presenter during and after
the allotted talk slot seemed to have made up for hallway discussions.

Maybe that's a viable way.  (I personally wasn't at the virtual summit to
know for sure, but the experience report from some of them was quite
positive; I know nothing about the conferencing software of LPC)

Ciao,
Michael.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]