Re: Oops caused by race between livepatch and ftrace

On Tue, 21 May 2019 09:16:29 -0500
Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hmm, this may blow up with lockdep, as I believe we already have a
> > locking dependency of:
> >
> >  text_mutex -> ftrace_lock
> >
> > And this will reverses it. (kprobes appears to take the locks in this
> > order).
> >
> > Perhaps have live kernel patching grab ftrace_lock?
>
> Where does kprobes call into ftrace with the text_mutex?  I couldn't
> find it.

Hmm, maybe it doesn't. I was looking at the arm_kprobe_ftrace() but
it doesn't call it with text_mutex().

Maybe it is fine, but we had better perform a lot of testing with
lockdep on to make sure.

-- Steve

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]