Re: livepatch callback features

On Fri 2019-02-15 16:29:55, Joe Lawrence wrote:
> On 2/14/19 5:47 AM, Nicolai Stange wrote:
> > Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > > - Do features need to be tightly coupled to callbacks?  They are a
> > > convenient tool to implement a policy, but I wonder if we lose
> > > anything by moving this up to the klp_patch level and letting the core
> > > handle it. (Like the versioning scheme.)
> >
> > If I'm understanding you correctly, you wonder whether having a
> > klp_object member in klp_feature would be necessary or not, right?
>
> Yup.  Instead we could have an API call to get/set features.
>
> > I think it doesn't matter much in these "safe upgrade" scenarios
> > being discussed here.
> >
> > I have to admit though that I don't see the need for having the
> > klp_features dynamic or "shadow variable like": I think we could embed
> > those statically into klp_patch as well.
> >

> > > Features could still be stored in a list and the callbacks could get
> > > access to current vs. this patch's feature set.  They wouldn't be
> > > dynamic, but then the API supporting that could drop out.
> >
> > Right, so during a transition, access to klp_features from the previous
> > live patch would be possible only up to and including the pre-patch
> > callback, correct?
>
> At least the ability to set them.  Once we're past the pre-patch callback
> stage, reading maybe useful for some purpose, but not transition reversal.

I wonder why this limitation would be needed. In fact, I think that
more natural would be to take over an existing state in post_patch()
callback. It might even be necessary when both livepatches need
different data and the replaced one need to get destroyed.

Best Regards,
Petr

PS: I am sorry for the late reply. I have got knee deep in review
of a huge printk-rework patchset, see
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190212143003.48446-1-john.ogness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best Regards,
Petr

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]