Re: Worried about XFS recovery taking too long. Please help :D

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 08:56:57PM +0200, Filip Stojić wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't know where or who to contact anymore. Found this email on
> https://xfs.wiki.kernel.org/
>
> I got an almalinux server with /var on a soft raid5 6x8tb disks.

So a custom distro kernel - we're not really going to be able to
help you much beyond basic triage. You'll need to talk to your
distro vendor support channels for anything more than that.

> There was a power failure and now on boot it states this:
>
> XFS (md3): Starting recovery (logdev: internal)
>
> Eventually it times out and continues the rest of the boot which kicks it
> into emergency mode. (I guess because it doesn't have /var mounted) and
> mount continues running in the background using 100% of 1 core.
>
> This has now been running for 215+ hours. Is this ok?

That's not expected behaviour. Maybe tens of minutes given the slow
storage and the possibility of thousands of inodes to recover, but
I wouldn't expect /var to have that much to recover in it.

> Anyone having any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

several repeated sysrq-l dmesg output dumps from emergnecy mode
will give us stack traces that tell us what recovery is doing. That
might give us some clues as to what is going on.

-Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx