Re: Backporting of series xfs/iomap: fix data corruption due to stale cached iomap

Hi Amir and Luis

On 7/20/23 1:30 PM, Luis Chamberlain wrote:
On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 09:45:14AM +0300, Amir Goldstein wrote:
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 11:37 PM Ignat Korchagin <ignat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Circling back on this. So far it seems that the patchset in question
does fix the issues of rocksdb corruption as we haven't seen them for
some time on our test group. We're happy to dedicate some efforts now
to get them officially backported to 6.1 according to the process. We
did try basic things with kdevops and would like to learn more. Fred
(cc-ed here) is happy to drive the effort and be the primary contact
on this. Could you, please, guide us/him on the process?

Hi Fred,

I'd love to help you get started with kdevops and xfs testing.
However, I am going on vacation tomorrow for three weeks,
so I'll just drop a few pointers and let the others help you out.

Luis (@mcgrof) is your best point of contact for kdevops.

I'm happy to help.

Chandan should be able to help you with xfs backporting questions.

Better yet, use the discord channel:
   https://bit.ly/linux-kdevops-chat

Someone is almost always available to answer questions there.

Indeed and also on irc.oftc.net on #kdevops too if you prefer IRC.
But discord seems to be more happening for kdevops these days.

TESTING:
--------------
The most challenging part of running fstests with kdevops is
establishing the baseline (which tests pass in current 6.1.y per xfs config),
but the baseline for that has already been established and committed
in kdevops repo.

There is a little quirk, that the baseline is associated only with exact
kernel version, hence commits like:
* c4e3de1 bootlinux: add expunge link for v6.1.39

Indeed so our latest baseline is in

workflows/fstests/expunges/6.1.39/xfs/unassigned/

Make sure that you test your patches against one of those tags
or add new symlinks to other tags.
Start by running a sanity test without your patches, because different
running environments and kdevops configs may disagree on the baseline.

You want to first run at least one loop to confirm your setup is fine
and that you don't find any other failures other than the ones above.

You can use kdevops to either run local VMs with libvirt or launch
cloud VMs with terraform - you need to configure this and more
during the 'make menuconfig' step.
Attaching my kdevops config (for libvirt guests) as a reference.

Please read:

https://github.com/linux-kdevops/kdevops
https://github.com/linux-kdevops/kdevops/blob/master/docs/requirements.md
https://github.com/linux-kdevops/kdevops/blob/master/docs/kdevops-first-run.md
https://github.com/linux-kdevops/kdevops/blob/master/docs/kdevops-mirror.md

And the video demonstrations. Then I'm happy to schedule some time to
cover anything the docs didn't cover, in particular to help you test new
patches you wish to backport for a stable kernel and the testing
criteria for that.

   Luis

This is all fantastic! I just joined the discord and will likely begin work on this tomorrow. I've already setup kdevops and ran through some selftests earlier this week. I still need to watch the video however. I'll reach out in Discord after I give a crack at what's presented so far.

Fred