Re: Backporting of series xfs/iomap: fix data corruption due to stale cached iomap

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 04:05:36PM +0300, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 3:30 PM Ignat Korchagin <ignat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Getting feedback back from Cloudflare production servers is awesome
> > > but it's not enough.
> > >
> > > The standard for getting xfs LTS backports approved is:
> > > 1. Test the backports against regressions with several rounds of fstests
> > >     check -g auto on selected xfs configurations [1]
> > > 2. Post the backport series to xfs list and get an ACK from upstream
> > >     xfs maintainers
> > >
> > > We have volunteers doing this work for 5.4.y, 5.10.y and 5.15.y.
> > > We do not yet have a volunteer to do that work for 6.1.y.
> > >
> > > The question is whether you (or your team) are volunteering to
> > > do that work for 6.1.y xfs backports to help share the load?
> >
> > We are not a big team and apart from other internal project work our
> > efforts are focused on fixing this issue in production, because it
> > affects many teams and workloads. If we confirm that these patches fix
> > the issue in production, we will definitely consider dedicating some
> > work to ensure they are officially backported. But if not - we would
> > be required to search for a fix first before we can commit to any
> > work.
> >
> > So, IOW - can we come back to you a bit later on this after we get the
> > feedback from production?
> >

> Of course.
> The volunteering question for 6.1.y is independent.
>
> When you decide that you have a series of backports
> that proves to fix a real bug in production,
> a way to test the series will be worked out.

/me notes that xfs/558 and xfs/559 (in fstests) are the functional tests
for these patches that you're backporting; it would be useful to have a
third party (i.e. not just the reporter and the author) confirm that the
two fstests pass when real workloads are fixed.

--D