Re: [RFCv5 5/5] iomap: Add per-block dirty state tracking to improve performance

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 05:56:25PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 07:18:07AM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:

> > > Although I am skeptical too to do the changes which Brian is suggesting
> > > here. i.e. not making all the blocks of the folio dirty when we are
> > > going to call ->dirty_folio -> filemap_dirty_folio() (mmaped writes).
> > >
> > > However, I am sorry but I coudn't completely follow your reasoning
> > > above. I think what Brian is suggesting here is that
> > > filemap_dirty_folio() should be similar to complete buffered overwrite
> > > case where we do not allocate the iop at the ->write_begin() time.
> > > Then at the writeback time we allocate an iop and mark all blocks dirty.
> > >

> > Yeah... I think what Willy is saying (i.e. to not track sub-page dirty
> > granularity of intra-folio faults) makes sense, but I'm also not sure
> > what it has to do with the idea of being consistent with how full folio
> > overwrites are implemented (between buffered or mapped writes). We're
> > not changing historical dirtying granularity either way. I think this is
> > just a bigger picture thought for future consideration as opposed to
> > direct feedback on this patch..
>
> <nod>
>
> > > In a way it is also the similar case as for mmapped writes too but my
> > > only worry is the way mmaped writes work and it makes more
> > > sense to keep the dirty state of folio and per-block within iop in sync.
> > > For that matter, we can even just make sure we always allocate an iop in
> > > the complete overwrites case as well. I didn't change that code because
> > > it was kept that way for uptodate state as well and based on one of your
> > > inputs for complete overwrite case.
> > >

> > Can you elaborate on your concerns, out of curiosity?
> >
> > Either way, IMO it also seems reasonable to drop this behavior for the
> > basic implementation of dirty tracking (so always allocate the iop for
> > sub-folio tracking as you suggest above) and then potentially restore it
> > as a separate optimization patch at the end of the series.
>
> Agree.
>
> > That said, I'm not totally clear why it exists in the first place, so
> > that might warrant some investigation. Is it primarily to defer
> > allocations out of task write/fault contexts?
>
> (Assuming by 'it' you mean the behavior where we don't unconditionally
> allocate iops for blocksize < foliosize...)
>
> IIRC the reason is to reduce memory usage by eliding iop allocations
> unless it's absolutely necessary for correctness was /my/ understanding
> of why we don't always allocate the iop...
>
> > To optimize the case where pagecache is dirtied but truncated or
> > something and thus never written back?
>
> ...because this might very well happen.  Write a temporary .o file to
> the filesystem, then delete the whole thing before writeback ever gets
> its hands on the file.

I don't think a simple temp write will trigger this scenario currently
because the folios would have to be uptodate at the time of the write to
bypass the iop alloc. I guess you'd have to read folios (even if backed
by holes) first to start seeing the !iop case at writeback time (for bs
!= ps).

That could change with these patches, but I was trying to reason about
the intent of the existing code and whether there was some known reason
to continue to try and defer the iop allocation as the need/complexity
for deferring it grows with the addition of more (i.e. dirty) tracking.

> > Is there any room for further improvement where the alloc could be
> > avoided completely for folio overwrites instead of just deferred?
>
> Once writeback starts, though, we need the iop so that we can know when
> all the writeback for that folio is actually complete, no matter how
> many IOs might be in flight for that folio.  I don't know how you'd get
> around this problem.

Ok. I noticed some kind of counter or something being updated last time
I looked through that code, so it sounds like that's the reason the iop
eventually needs to exist. Thanks.

> > Was that actually the case at some point and then something later
> > decided the iop was needed at writeback time, leading to current
> > behavior?
>
> It's been in iomap since the beginning when we lifted it from xfs.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to here. iomap_writepage_map()
would warn on the (bs != ps && !iop) case up until commit 8e1bcef8e18d
("iomap: Permit pages without an iop to enter writeback"), so I don't
see how iop allocs were deferred (other than when bs == ps, obviously)
prior to that.

Heh, but I'm starting to get my wires crossed just trying to piece
things together here. Ritesh, ISTM the (writeback && !iop && bs != ps)
case is primarily a subtle side effect of the current writeback behavior
being driven by uptodate status. I think it's probably wise to drop it
at least initially, always alloc and dirty the appropriate iop ranges
for sub-folio blocks, and then if you or others think there is value in
the overwrite optimization to defer iop allocs, tack that on as a
separate patch and try to be consistent between buffered and mapped
writes.

Darrick noted above that he also agrees with that separate patch
approach. For me, I think it would also be useful to show that there is
some measurable performance benefit on at least one reasonable workload
to help justify it.

Brian