Re: XFS corruption help; xfs_repair isn't working

On 01/12/2022 02:12, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 09:06:46AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 08:49:27PM +0000, Chris Boot wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry, I'm mailing here as a last resort before declaring this filesystem
done for. Following a string of unclean reboots and a dying hard disk I have
this filesystem in a very poor state that xfs_repair can't make any progress
on.

It has been mounted on kernel 5.18.14-1~bpo11+1 (from Debian
bullseye-backports). Most of the repairs were done using xfsprogs 5.10.0-4
(from Debian bullseye stable), though I did also try with 6.0.0-1 (from
Debian bookworm/testing re-built myself).

I've attached the full log from xfs_repair, but the summary is it all starts
with multiple instances of this in Phase 3:

Metadata CRC error detected at 0x5609236ce178, xfs_dir3_block block
0xe101f32f8/0x1000
bad directory block magic # 0x1859dc06 in block 0 for directory inode
64426557977
bad bestfree table in block 0 in directory inode 64426557977: repairing
table

I think that the problem is that we are trying to repair garbage
without completely reinitialising the directory block header. We
don't bother checking the incoming directory block for sanity after
the CRC fails, and then we only warn that it has a bad magic number.

We then go a process it as though it is a directory block,
essentially trusting that the directory block header is actually
sane. Which it clearly isn't because the magic number in the dir
block has been trashed.

We then rescan parts of the directory block and rewrite parts of the
block header, but the next time we re-scan the block we find that
there are still bad parts in the header/directory block. Then we
rewrite the magic number to make it look like a directory block,
and when repair is finished it goes to write the recovered directory
block to disk and it fails the verifier check - it's still a corrupt
directory block because it's still full of garbage that doesn't pass
muster.

 From a recovery persepective, I think that if we get a bad CRC and
an unrecognisable magic number, we have no idea what the block is
meant to contain - we cannot trust it to contain directory
information, so we should just trash the block rather than try to
rebuild it. If it was a valid directory block, this will result in
the files it pointed to being moved to lost+found so no data is
actually lost.

If it wasn't a dir block at all, then simply trashing the data fork
of the inode and not touching the contents of the block at all is
right thing to do. Modifying something that may be cross-linked
before we've resolved all the cross-linked extents is a bad thing to
be doing, so if we cannot recognise the block as a directory block,
we shouldn't try to recover it as a directory block at all....

Darrick, what are your thoughts on this?

I kinda want to see the metadump of this (possibly enormous) filesystem.

I've asked whether I can share this with you. The filesystem is indeed huge (35TiB) and I wouldn't be surprised if the metadata alone was rather large. What would be the most efficient way of sharing that with you?

It looks like there are exactly 7 unreadable directories scattered across the filesystem, most in data that has been there for weeks/months - but a couple in the most recent complete "snapshot" directory.

Probably the best outcome is to figure out which blocks in each
directory are corrupt, remove them from the data fork mapping, and see
if repair can fix up the other things (e.g. bestfree data) and dump the
unlinked files in /lost+found.  Hopefully rsnapshot can deal with the
directory tree if we can at least get the bad dirblocks out of the way.

rsnapshot just runs an rsync with --link-dest= set, so it'll just duplicate files that are missing, but it aborts when it hits the corrupted directories as it can't look inside them.

If reflink is turned on, repair can deal with crosslinked file data
blocks, though anything other kind of block results in the usual
scraping-till-its-clean behavior.

Sadly reflink is off:

meta-data=/dev/vg_data/rsnapshot isize=512 agcount=38, agsize=251658224 blks
         =                       sectsz=4096  attr=2, projid32bit=1
         =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=0, rmapbt=0
= reflink=0 bigtime=0 inobtcount=0 nrext64=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=9395240960, imaxpct=5
         =                       sunit=16     swidth=64 blks
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0, ftype=1
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=521728, version=2
         =                       sectsz=4096  sunit=1 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

I'm also kinda curious what started this corruption problem, and did any
of it leak through to other files?

I wish we knew. This came to light when the machine had to be repeatedly rebooted because a large computation job was making the system run out of memory. Unfortunately it has a lot of swap configured so it wasn't just being OOM killed, which would have been much better. This all actually led to soft lockups and to our reboots. This happened 3-4 times before we noticed the corruption.

During the above the RAID controller (an LSI MegaRAID) marked one of the hard disks that makes up the array (a RAID-60 over 18x 8TB SAS disks, 2x 9-disk RAID-6 spans) faulty.

During the recovery I know that xfs_repair was run with -L at some point; I'm not certain whether the person doing this actually tried mounting the filesystem first to replay the log, though. There was certainly a lot more corruption than just this, but it seems like that all got repaired away. /lost+found was full of 10s of thousands of displaced files (now removed).

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Boot