Re: generic/650 makes v6.0-rc client unusable

On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 10:36:04AM +0000, Filipe Manana wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 4:22 AM Shinichiro Kawasaki
> <shinichiro.kawasaki@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I also observe this failure when I ran fstests using btrfs on my HDDs.
> > The failure is recreated almost always.
>
> I'm wondering what do you get in dmesg, any traces?
>
> I've excluded the test from my runs for over an year now, due to some
> crash that I reported
> to the mm and cpu hotplug people here:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/CAL3q7H4AyrZ5erimDyO7mOVeppd5BeMw3CS=wGbzrMZrp56ktA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Unfortunately I had no reply from anyone who works or maintains those
> subsystems.
>
> It didn't happen very often, and I haven't tested again with recent kernels.

I've been testing with xfs/btrfs/ext4 nightly, and haven't seen any
problems with the last two.  There's some very infrequent log accounting
problem that is probably a regression from Dave's recent round of log
refactorings, so once we're clear of the write race corruption problem,
I intend to inquire about that.

Granted I also don't have hundreds-of-cpus machines to test this kind of
stuff, so I don't know how well hotplug mania fares on a big iron.

I don't think it's valid to remove a test from the auto group because it
uncovers bugs.  If test runner folks want to put it in their own exclude
lists for their own convenience, that's fine with me.

--D