Re: generic/650 makes v6.0-rc client unusable

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 4:22 AM Shinichiro Kawasaki
<shinichiro.kawasaki@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sep 04, 2022 / 21:15, Zorro Lang wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2022 at 06:43:29PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
> > > While investigating some of the other issues that have been
> > > reported lately, I've found that my v6.0-rc3 NFS/TCP client
> > > goes off the rails often (but not always) during generic/650.
> > >
> > > This is the test that runs a workload while offlining and
> > > onlining CPUs. My test client has 12 physical cores.
> > >
> > > The test appears to start normally, but then after a bit
> > > the NFS server workload drops to zero and the NFS mount
> > > disappears. I can't run programs (sudo, for example) on
> > > the client. Can't log in, even on the console. The console
> > > has a constant stream of "can't rotate log: Input/Output
> > > error" type messages.
>
> I also observe this failure when I ran fstests using btrfs on my HDDs.
> The failure is recreated almost always.

I'm wondering what do you get in dmesg, any traces?

I've excluded the test from my runs for over an year now, due to some
crash that I reported
to the mm and cpu hotplug people here:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/CAL3q7H4AyrZ5erimDyO7mOVeppd5BeMw3CS=wGbzrMZrp56ktA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Unfortunately I had no reply from anyone who works or maintains those
subsystems.

It didn't happen very often, and I haven't tested again with recent kernels.