Re: Inconsistent "EXPERIMENTAL online shrink feature in use. Use at your own risk" alert

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 04:18:54PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 3/9/22 3:19 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 12:22:00PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> >> I'm wondering if we have some path through xfs_growfs_data_private() that calculates
> >> a delta < 0 unintentionally, or if we get there with delta == 0 and generate the
> >> warning message.
> >
> > Nope, we're not even getting there for the delta == 0 case...
>
> Ok, thanks - I should have checked that.
>
> Soooo how is a no-argument xfs_growfs, with size calculated by the tool based on the
> disk size, failing immediately after a mount? Makes no sense to me.

Remember, unraid is an out of tree MD block device driver, so
there's every chance that XFS is just the messenger telling us that
the device driver has bugs in it's size handling or
discovery/recovery/assembly behaviour. Until we get an actual
command line reproducer for this problem on an in-tree block device,
I would not spend any more time worrying about it.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner