Re: Inconsistent "EXPERIMENTAL online shrink feature in use. Use at your own risk" alert

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 10:31:32AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 06:46:58AM +0800, David Dal Ben wrote:
> > This is where I get out of my depth. I added the drives to unraid, it
> > asked if I wanted to format them, I said yes, when that was completed
> > I started migrating data.
> >
> > I didn't enter any XFS or disk commands from the CLI.
>
> Is there any sort of verbose logging you can turn on from the
> applicance web interface?
>

> > What I can tell you is that there are a couple of others who have
> > reported this alert on the Unraid forums, all seem to have larger
> > disks, over 14tb.
>
> I'd suggest that you ask Unraid to turn off XFS shrinking support in
> the 6.10 release. It's not ready for production release, and
> enabling it is just going to lead to user problems like this.
>
> Indeed, this somewhat implies that Unraid haven't actually tested
> shrink functionality at all, because otherwise the would have
> noticed just how limited the current XFS shrink support is and
> understood that it simply cannot be used in a production environment
> yet.
>
> IOWs, if Unraid want to support shrink in their commercial products
> right now, their support engineers need to be testing, triaging and
> reporting shrink problems to upstream and telling us exactly what is
> triggering those issues. Whilst the operations and commands they are
> issuing remains hidden from Unraid users, there's not a huge amount
> we can do upstream to triage the issue...

I'm not sure if it can reproduce on other distribution or it's just a
specific behavior with unraid distribution, and it seems that this
distribution needs to be paid with $ to get more functionality, so I
assume it has a professional support team which can investigate more,
at least on the userspace side.

In the beginning, we've discussed informally if we needed to add
another "-S" option to xfs_growfs to indicate the new shrink behavior
for users. And the conclusion was unnecessary. And I think for the case
mentioned in the original thread, it didn't actually do anything.

Thanks,
Gao Xiang