Re: XFS disaster recovery

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry for some imprecise language. The array is around 450 TB raw
and I will refer to it as roughly half a petabyte but factoring out
RAID parity disks and spare disks it should indeed be around 384 TB
formatted.

I checked over the metadump with xfs_db as you suggest and it looks
like it dumped all AGs that the filesystem had.

# ./xfs_db -r /exports/home/work/md4.img
Metadata CRC error detected at 0x555a5c9dc8fe, xfs_agf block 0x4d7fffd948/0x1000
xfs_db: cannot init perag data (74). Continuing anyway.
xfs_db> sb 0
xfs_db> p agcount
agcount = 350
xfs_db> agf 349
xfs_db> p
magicnum = 0x58414746
versionnum = 1
seqno = 349
length = 82676200
bnoroot = 11
cntroot = 9
rmaproot =
refcntroot =
bnolevel = 2
cntlevel = 2
rmaplevel = 0
refcntlevel = 0
rmapblocks = 0
refcntblocks = 0
flfirst = 576
fllast = 581
flcount = 6
freeblks = 12229503
longest = 55037
btreeblks = 545
uuid = 4f39a900-91fa-4c5d-ba34-b56e77720db3
lsn = 0x1bb700239100
crc = 0xd329ccfc (correct)
xfs_db>

And looking at the image the size is roughly what it should be with
the actual size of the filesystem and the size of the sparse file
image looks sane.

# ls -l /exports/home/work/
total 157159048
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 384068188372992 Feb  7 22:02 md4.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     53912722432 Feb  7 21:59 md4.metadump
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     53912722432 Feb  7 16:50 md4.metadump.save
# du -sh /exports/home/work/md4.img
50G     /exports/home/work/md4.img
#

I also apologize, in my last email I accidentally ran the copy of
xfs_repair that was installed from the Ubuntu package manager (old -
4.9.0) instead of the copy that I built from the dev tree.

I took advantage of this test environment to just run a bunch of
experiments and see what happened.

I found that if I ran the dev tree xfs_repair with the -P option, I
could get xfs_repair to complete a run. It exits with return code 130
but the resulting loopback image filesystem is mountable and I see
around 27 TB in lost+found which would represent around 9% loss in
terms of what was actually on the filesystem.

Given where we started I think this is acceptable (more than
acceptable, IMO, I was getting to the point of expecting to have to
write off the majority of the filesystem) and it seems like a way
forward to get the majority of the data off this old filesystem.

Is there anything further I should check or any caveats that I should
bear in mind applying this xfs_repair to the real filesystem? Or does
it seem reasonable to go ahead, repair this and start copying off?

Thanks so much for all your help so far,

Sean