Re: Any guide to replace a xfs logdev?

On 2/7/22 9:23 PM, Wang Yugui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any guide to replace a xfs logdev?
>
> case 1: logdev device failed.
> case 2: replace the logdev with a new NVDIMM-N device.
>
> but I failed to find out some guide to  replace a xfs logdev.

The external log is specified at mount time on the mount command line,
so all you should need to do is use the "-o logdev=/dev/XXX" option
to point at the new device, which must be at least as large as the old
device, and should be completely zeroed.

If the filesystem was cleanly unmounted, this should be all that is required.

If the log device failed during operation, the filesystem is probably
not consistent, and you will most likely need to run an xfs_repair,
zeroing out the log and repairing any inconsistencies, since your log
device has failed and no longer replayable. So, something like:

# xfs_repair -L -l /dev/newlogdevice /dev/xfsdevice

where /dev/xfsdevice is your data device holding the filesystem,
and /dev/newlogdevice is your new/replaced log device.

Before you actually do this, you might want to see if anyone corrects
my statements or notices anything I missed. ;)

-Eric