Re: XFS NVMe RDMA?

Thank you Christoph! That’s very cool and makes sense.

Quick Question: would I be correct in assuming that if I mmap()ed each 8-64MB (chunk) file from XFS, and then did RDMA from the mmap region, that it would first be copied from NVMe into DRAM (does this bypass CPU?) and *then* be copied across RDMA, rather than directly be copied from NVMe by RDMA? Or does O_DIRECT properly allow bypass straight to NVMe for RDMA?

For what this #1 entry are doing though, each of the 512 nodes have their own separate XFS FS as well as their own separate RocksDB, both backed by NVMe. They are doing filesystem ops almost entirely in user-mode (no kernel, no FUSE) by intercepting application binaries and rewriting syscall instructions into jumps into their user-mode library code and doing message passing to RDMA transfers to/from application memory from/to remote node’s NVMe. I don’t believe they’ve modified XFS, nor using pNFS. I don’t know if there’s any other mechanism though other than mmap() and then RDMA on that region?

- Dan