Re: Sorting blocks in xfs_buf_delwri_submit_buffers() still necessary?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021, Dave Chinner wrote:

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 07:13:10PM +0200, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
Hi,

Based on what's going on in blk-mq & NVMe land

What's going on in this area that is any different from the past few
years?

Nothing in particular, just watching Jens pull out all the stops is
interesting, and all sorts of other overheads are peeking out from
under the couch.

I though I'd check if XFS still
sorts buffers before sending them down the pipe, and sure enough that still
happens in xfs_buf.c:xfs_buf_delwri_submit_buffers() (the comparson function
is directly above). Before I make a fool of myself and try to remove this,
do we still think this is necessary?

Yes, I do.

Ok - I completely forgot about merging adjacent requests, and that
only works if they are somehow sorted. Makes sense.

Thank you for the explanation!

Holger