Re: [XFS SUMMIT] Deprecating V4 on-disk format

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 14:25, Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Wed, 20 May 2020 11:14:30 +1000
> Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:
>
> > Well, there's a difference between what a distro that heavily
> > patches the upstream kernel is willing to support and what upstream
> > supports. And, realistically, v4 is going to be around for at least
> > one more major distro release, which means the distro support time
> > window is still going to be in the order of 15 years.
>
> IIRC, RedHat/CentOS v.7.x shipped with a v5-capable mkfs.xfs, but
> defaulted to v4. That means that unless you were extremely cautious
> (like I am :) 99% of RH/COs v7 will be running v4 volumes for the
> coming years. How many years, would you ask?

[Trying again hopefully without HTML]

So initial RHEL/CentOS 7 releases did create XFS v4 file systems.
However from RHEL/CentOS 7.3 [1] (circa Nov 2016) they are creating XFS
v5 file systems by default.

[1] RHEL 7.3 Release Notes > Chapter 9. File Systems
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/7.3_release_notes/new_features_file_systems

# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)
# mkfs.xfs -V
mkfs.xfs version 4.5.0
# mkfs.xfs /dev/sdb13
# xfs_db -c version -r /dev/sdb13
versionnum [0xb4a5+0x18a] =
V5,NLINK,DIRV2,ALIGN,LOGV2,EXTFLG,MOREBITS,ATTR2,LAZYSBCOUNT,PROJID32BIT,CRC,FTYPE