Re: [XFS SUMMIT] Deprecating V4 on-disk format

Le Wed, 20 May 2020 11:14:30 +1000
Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> Well, there's a difference between what a distro that heavily
> patches the upstream kernel is willing to support and what upstream
> supports. And, realistically, v4 is going to be around for at least
> one more major distro release, which means the distro support time
> window is still going to be in the order of 15 years.

IIRC, RedHat/CentOS v.7.x shipped with a v5-capable mkfs.xfs, but
defaulted to v4. That means that unless you were extremely cautious
(like I am :) 99% of RH/COs v7 will be running v4 volumes for the
coming years. How many years, would you ask?

As for the lifecycle of a filesystem, I just ended support on a 40 TB
archival server I set up back in 2007. I still have a number of
supported systems from the years 2008-2010, and about a hundred from
2010-2013. That's how reliable XFS is, unfortunately :)