Re: Non-blocking socket stuck for multiple seconds on xfs_reclaim_inodes_ag()

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 07:16:25PM -0800, Kenton Varda wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 3:47 PM Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > But taking out your frustrations on the people who are trying to fix
> > the problems you are seeing isn't productive. We are only a small
> > team and we can't fix every problem that everyone reports
> > immediately. Some things take time to fix.
>
> I agree. My hope is that explaining our use case helps you make XFS
> better, but you don't owe us anything. It's our problem to solve and
> any help you give us is a favor.
>
> > IOWs, there are relatively few applications that have such a
> > significant dependency on memory reclaim having extremely low
> > latency,
>
> Hmm, I'm confused by this. Isn't low-latency memory allocation is a
> common requirement for any kind of interactive workload? I don't see
> what's unique about our use case in this respect. Any desktop and most
> web servers I would think have similar requirements.
>
> I'm sure there's something about our use case that's unusual, but it
> doesn't seem to me that requiring low-latency memory allocation is
> unique.
>
> Maybe the real thing that's odd about us is that we constantly create
> and delete files at a high rate, and that means we have an excessive
> number of dirty inodes to flush?
>
> > IOWs, we're trying to solve *all* the blocking problems that we know
> > that can occur in inode reclaim so that it all just works for
> > everyone without tweaks being necessary. Yes, this takes longer than
> > just addressing the specific symptom that is causing you problems,
> > but the reality is while fixing things properly takes time to get
> > right, everyone will benefit from it being fixed and not just one or
> > two very specific, latency sensitive workloads.
>
> Great, it's good to hear that this problem is expected to be fixed
> eventually. We can patch our way around it in the meantime.

FWIW I /was/ planning to patchbomb every feature that's sitting around
in my xfs development tree on NYE for everyone's enjoyment^Wreview. ;)

Concretely, those features are:

- Scrub fixes
- The eas(ier) parts of online repair
- Deferred inode inactivation (i.e. the thing you're talking about)
- The hard parts of online repair
- Hoisting inode operations to libxfs
- Metadata inode directory tree
- Reverse mapping for realtime devices