Re: ENSOPC on a 10% used disk

On 18/10/2018 18.44, Avi Kivity wrote:

On 18/10/2018 14.00, Avi Kivity wrote:

This can happen, and indeed I see our default hint is 1MB, so our small files use a 1MB hint. Looks like we should remove that 1MB hint since it's reducing allocation flexibility for XFS without a good return.

I convinced myself that this is the root cause, it fits perfectly with your explanation. I still think that XFS should allocate *something* rather than ENOSPC, but I can also understand someone wanting a guarantee.

A small twist: there were in fact lots of small files on that system, caused by snapshots that the user did not remove. But I think the explanation still holds.