ENSOPC on a 10% used disk

I have a user running a 1.7TB filesystem with ~10% usage (as shown by df), getting sporadic ENOSPC errors. The disk is mounted with inode64 and has a relatively small number of large files. The disk is a single-member RAID0 array, with 1MB chunk size. There are 32 AGs. Running Linux 4.9.17.

The write load consists of AIO/DIO writes, followed by unlinks of these files. The writes are non-size-changing (we truncate ahead) and we use XFS_IOC_FSSETXATTR/XFS_FLAG_EXTSIZE with a hint size of 32MB. The errors happen on commit logs, which have a target size of 32MB (but may exceed it a little).

The errors are sporadic and after restarting the workload they go away for a few hours to a few days, but then return. During one of the crashes I used xfs_db to look at fragmentation and saw that most AGs had free extents of size categories up to 128-255, but a few had more. I tried xfs_fsr but it did not help.

Is this a known issue? Would upgrading the kernel help?

I'll try to get a metadata dump next time this happens, and I'll be happy to supply more information.