Re: Question about 67dc288c ("xfs: ensure verifiers are attached to recovered buffers")

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 09:07:59AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> [...]
> > > we call some variant of xfs_buf_read with a NULL ops parameter.  The
> > > buffer therefore gets created and read without any verifiers.
> > > Eventually, xlog_recover_validate_buf_type gets called, and on a v5
> > > filesystem we come back and attach verifiers and all is well.  However,
> > > on a v4 filesystem the function returns without doing anything, so the
> > > xfs_buf just sits around in memory with no verifier.  Subsequent
> > > read/log/relse patterns can write anything they want without write
> > > verifiers to check that.
> > >
> > > If the v4 fs didn't need log recovery, the buffers get created with
> > > b_ops as you'd expect.
> > >
> > > My question is, shouldn't xlog_recover_validate_buf_type unconditionally
> > > set b_ops and save the "if (hascrc)" bits for the part that ensures the
> > > LSN is up to date?
> > >

> > Seems reasonable, but I notice that the has_crc() check around
> > _validate_buf_type() comes in sometime after the the original commit
> > referenced below (d75afeb3) and commit 67dc288c. It appears to be due to
> > commit 9222a9cf86 ("xfs: don't shutdown log recovery on validation
> > errors").
> >
> > IIRC, the problem there is that log recovery had traditionally always
> > unconditionally replayed everything in the log over whatever resides in
> > the fs. This actually meant that recovery could transiently corrupt
> > buffers in certain cases if the target buffer happened to be relogged
> > more than once and was already up to date, which leads to verification
> > failures.
>
> Yes, that is one of the problems - we can get writeback of partially
> updated buffers mid-way through log recovery on v4 filesystems.
>
> > This was addressed for v5 filesystems with LSN ordering rules,
> > but the challenge for v4 filesystems was that there is no metadata LSN
> > and thus no means to detect whether a buffer is already up to date with
> > regard to a transaction in the log.
>
> In a nutshell.
>
> > Dave might have more historical context to confirm that...
>
> Historically it only occurred (rarely) due to memory pressure
> triggering writeback during recovery. However, when we changed to context
> specific delayed write buffer lists we started doing that writeback
> after every checkpoint was recovered. Hence it's now pretty trivial
> to trigger verifier failures during log recovery on v4
> filesystems...
>
> > If that is
> > still an open issue, a couple initial ideas come to mind:
> >
> > 1.) Do something simple/crude like reclaim all buffers after log
> > recovery on v4 filesystems to provide a clean slate going forward.
>
> This might be a worthwhile thing to do, anyway. Log recovery can
> lead to a lot of cached metadata that won't be referenced again
> after reocvery is complete. Perhaps we should just clear the
> buffer cache after the first phase of recovery just before/after
> we re-read the superblock and re-init the incore space accounting...

Ok. In that case, then perhaps doing something like this wouldn't need
to be limited to just v4 filesystems.

> > 2.) Unconditionally attach verifiers during recovery as originally done
> > and wire up something generic that short circuits verifier invocations
> > on v4 filesystems when log recovery is in progress.
>
> I'd prefer "return to clean slate" than have to handle log
> recovery state specially in every verifier. It's simple, it's easy
> to maintain, and it creates a barrier between metadata recovered
> from the log and post-processing of intents/unlinks that ensures
> we've made all the recovered changes stable on disk before we move
> on...

Either of these seem reasonable to me so if there is additional reason
to go with #1, then that works for me.

Just note that the intent of #2 above was not to modify every verifier
to accommodate this situation.  Rather, to consider a generic change
such as not invoking the verifier under particular conditions. Modifying
the individual verifiers might be more reasonable if we had a generic
verifier abstraction as Darrick and I discussed a bit ago wrt to some
unrelated changes that I don't recall, but even then I'm not sure I
would consider it the most elegant option..

Brian