Question about 67dc288c ("xfs: ensure verifiers are attached to recovered buffers")

Hi all,

I have a question about 67dc288c ("xfs: ensure verifiers are attached to
recovered buffers").  I was analyzing a scrub failure on generic/392
with a v4 filesystem which stems from xfs_scrub_buffer_recheck (it's in
scrub part 4) being unable to find a b_ops attached to the AGF buffer
and signalling error.

The pattern I observe is that when log recovery runs on a v4 filesystem,
we call some variant of xfs_buf_read with a NULL ops parameter.  The
buffer therefore gets created and read without any verifiers.
Eventually, xlog_recover_validate_buf_type gets called, and on a v5
filesystem we come back and attach verifiers and all is well.  However,
on a v4 filesystem the function returns without doing anything, so the
xfs_buf just sits around in memory with no verifier.  Subsequent
read/log/relse patterns can write anything they want without write
verifiers to check that.

If the v4 fs didn't need log recovery, the buffers get created with
b_ops as you'd expect.

My question is, shouldn't xlog_recover_validate_buf_type unconditionally
set b_ops and save the "if (hascrc)" bits for the part that ensures the
LSN is up to date?

It seems like a bad idea to let buffers sit around with no verifier.
The original patch adding this function is d75afeb3 ("xfs: add buffer
types to directory and attribute buffers") and looks like it was
supposed to do this for any filesystem, but I wasn't around to know the
evolution of that part of xlog.

--D