What is the proper way to remove an xfs partition?

Hi All,

Fedora 26
BIOS boot = legacy (EUFI give me hives)

I have a SATA backup drive formatted gpt, one partition, xfs. I went into gparted, erased the partition, recreated the partition as ext4 and formatted it as ext4.

Then I mounted it as ext4, copied some files to it, unmounted it. When I went to remount it, mount told me there was something wrong with ext4. So I mounted it as xfs AND IT WORKED! I repeated with the same result. The drive thinks it is ext4 until the second mount.

Out of shear frustration, I did a dd /dev/zero overwrite of the stinker and left it running overnight. That did the trick, but it takes
forever and I have four more drives to go.

What is the official way to remove an xfs partition?

Many thanks,
-T