Re: xfs_repair fails: mismatched UUID?

On 8/17/17 12:42 AM, Link Dupont wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 00:26 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Oh right, you did say RAID enclosure.
>>
>> My money is on the enclosure no longer presenting you with sectors in
>> the original order, or in an otherwise severely damaged form, for
>> whatever reason.
>
> The problem *could* be from the enclosure itself; I don't have a second one to
> test. I'm fairly sure the cause is a failing drive (I get a red LED from one of
> the two status LEDs on the front of the enclosure).
>
>> xfs_repair restores filesystem consistency but it is not a data recovery or
>> storage repair tool.  ;)
>
> I get that. But since the files are there, it seemed like the file-system could
> be repaired. I'll dig up the output.

My worry is that the "log uuid" was neither zeros nor the proper UUID; it was
something else.  So it wasn't bad, unreadable sectors which got filled in with
zeros by ddrescue, it was apparently some random data coughed up by the
enclosure for some unknown reason.

If it did that to the log, it may well have done that to many other parts
of the filesystem as well.

-Eric