Re: Metadata corruption detected at xfs_inode_buf_verify

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:47:16AM -0700, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, Christian Kujau wrote:
> > so, the disk enclosure attached to my RaspberryPi[0] had "some" kind of
> > failure last night: one of the disks appears to have some kind of hardware
> > problem, the other is fine, but the XFS file system cannot be mounted.
> > Instead of using the RPI to try the repair, I attached the enclosure to an
> > Intel i7 machine (16 GB RAM) and attempted to mount:
>
> After a late night chat on #xfs, it seems that the corruption may have
> happened due to a problem with the storage driver on this RPI and Dave
> commented:
>
>  | and I'm pretty sure that the USB mass storage interface/driver does not
>  | pass through cache flushes or support FUA operations.
>  | which would explain why it appears that the inode cluster
>  | initialisation IO isn't on disk, and it wasn't replayed by log recovery
>  | before inode updates were recovered....
>
> (Put here so that it can be found in the archives, in case this happens to
> someone else)
>
> So, that being said, the now corrupted XFS still cannot be repaired by
> xfs_repair (compiled from a git checkout two days ago). The full
> xfs_repair run can be found the in screenlog:
>
>  http://nerdbynature.de/bits/4.12.0-rc7/screenlog_1.txt
>  The xfs_logprint and xfs_metadump outputs can be provided at request.
>

> Is this something xfs_repair should be able to fix or is the filesystem
> just too mangled in this case?

Hard to say for sure. I do wonder whether this is related to any of the
issues that Emmanuel ran into in his recent post[1]. Care to post the
metadump somewhere where it can be downloaded? Note that it usually can
be compressed to save upload/download time.

Brian

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-xfs/msg08176.html