Re: boot failure after kernel update, imap claims in-use inode 661690 is free, would correct imap

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Darrick J. Wong
<darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:13:55PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:11:22PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Darrick J. Wong
>> > <darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Unmounting file systems.
>> > Remounting '/tmp' read-only with options 'seclabel'.
>> > Unmounting /tmp.
>> > Remounting '/' read-only with options 'seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota'.
>> > Remounting '/' read-only with options 'seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota'.
>> > Remounting '/' read-only with options 'seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota'.
>>
>> (I wonder why it does this three times?)
>
> Because systemd (v229, anyway) doesn't ever unmount /; it merely tries
> to remount it readonly.  Regrettably it /also/ throws away the return
> code from the mount call so there's no way to positively confirm my
> current theory, which is that we don't actually succeed at the
> remount-ro request and that's why the log needs recovery after the
> reboot.

The last line after those three is "All filesystems unmounted." So if
it isn't really unmounting, then that's a bogus message.

Also, on Btrfs I'm getting the same three remounting messages, and the
unmounted message.

Remounting '/' read-only with options
'seclabel,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/'.
Remounting '/' read-only with options
'seclabel,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/'.
Remounting '/' read-only with options
'seclabel,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/'.
All filesystems unmounted.

> So maybe plymouthd, or journald, or systemd, or something else entirely
> still holds a writable file descriptor to somewhere on the rootfs.  I
> guess you could build a custom systemd that actually logs the return
> value....

Yuck. I'll ask on systemd list if there's a way to get more verbose
information about this without that. It really ought to be in
systemd.log_level=debug anyway.

--
Chris Murphy