Re: boot failure after kernel update, imap claims in-use inode 661690 is free, would correct imap

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:11:22PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Darrick J. Wong
> <darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > So... you fire up gnome-software, click "Update", it downloads rpms to
> > the hard disk, reboots, (presumably) installs the rpms, reboots again,
> > and after the /second/ reboot grub just barfs up a grub> prompt?
>
> Correct.
>

> > Now I'm curious how systemd actually triggers the reboot.  Unmounting
> > would seem to force the log and push the AIL, which (you'd think) would
> > be enough.  But maybe systemd is doing something weird?  Or maybe
> > post-update we fail to unmount / ?
>
> If I boot with the following parameters, and use virsh console to
> track what's going on right after the updating,
>
> systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=console console=ttyS0,38400
>

> Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
> Sending SIGKILL to remaining processes...
> Process 304 (plymouthd) has been marked to be excluded from killing.
> It is running from the root file system, and thus likely to block
> re-mounting of the root file system to read-only. Please consider
> moving it into an initrd file system instead.

Heh.  So the splash screen is still running and we can't unmount /.
Consequently systemd remounts the fs readonly...

> Unmounting file systems.
> Remounting '/tmp' read-only with options 'seclabel'.
> Unmounting /tmp.
> Remounting '/' read-only with options 'seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota'.
> Remounting '/' read-only with options 'seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota'.
> Remounting '/' read-only with options 'seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota'.

(I wonder why it does this three times?)

> All filesystems unmounted.
> Deactivating swaps.
> All swaps deactivated.
> Detaching loop devices.
> device-enumerator: scan all dirs
>   device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
>   device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
> All loop devices detached.
> Detaching DM devices.
> device-enumerator: scan all dirs
>   device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
>   device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
> All DM devices detached.
> Spawned /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/mdadm.shutdown as 8408.
> /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/mdadm.shutdown succeeded.
> system-shutdown succeeded.
> Failed to read reboot parameter file: No such file or directory
> Rebooting.
> [   52.963598] Unregister pv shared memory for cpu 0
> [   52.965736] Unregister pv shared memory for cpu 1
> [   52.966795] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
> [   52.991220] reboot: Restarting system
> [   52.993119] reboot: machine restart

...and reboots, having not unmounted, and (I guess?) without forcing the
log to write all of the logged changes back to the metadata.  They
changes are safely recorded /in/ the log....

> <no further entries, VM shuts down>
>
> However, I get a different result. This time I get a stale grub menu
> with a single kernel option (same as if the update hadn't happened).
> If I boot, kernel messages reports log replay. When I reboot again,

...because mounting replays them and after that the metadata is up to
date.

Strange, though, because afaict we xfs_attr_quiesce seems to do the
right things when we remount rw->ro, so you wouldn't think that there
would be a need to recover.  Maybe there's something funny going on
w.r.t. the three messages about remounting readonly?

> now I have a two kernel grub menu. I'm guessing the slowness of
> systemd debug is resulting in the difference; more time to commit the
> changes?
>
> Anyway, it looks / is remounted read-only before reboot. Note, this is
> a single partition/volume setup, so /boot/grub2/grub.cfg being
> modified by grubby is on the fs being remounted read-only and reboot
> time.

--D