Re: Safe XFS limits (100TB+)

On 2/2/17 11:52 AM, fuser ct1 wrote:
> Thanks for the fast reply Eric!
>
> It's good to know I'm not completely off my chop :-)
>
> 288T! Wow, OK. Is that safe and workable when it starts to get full?
> (say around 70% utilized)
>
> In this case the machine will have 128G memory and a dual E5 Xeon. The
> filesystem will have a fair number of files, but they're all going to
> be a fair few G.

That's probably not unreasonable.  You can always feed it swap and wait
longer, if you have to.

> Regarding xfs_repair/check, thanks for the heads up. I've only had to
> use repair once due to some mess caused by unsupported with an
> unsupported firmware with an Adaptec 71605 (learned my lesson quickly
> there).
>
> I wonder if my eyes are too big for my stomach now? Why have 144TB x2
> if you can have one big filesystem...

Just more to lose all at once if something /does/ go wrong.

And yes, storage behaving properly is critical to things not going
wrong...

> My fstab options are as such:
>
> rw,nobarrier,inode64

inode64 is the default upstream.
nobarrier should never be used, and is deprecated upstream.

> Also, FWIW I didn't partition the device last time, just ended up with...
>
> /dev/sdb: UUID="ccac4134-12a0-4dbd-9365-d2e166d927ed" TYPE="xfs"

xfs doesn't care what block device it lives on, though some misbehaving
utilities might stomp on it if it looks unpartitioned.

-Eric