Re: Safe XFS limits (100TB+)

On 2/2/17 10:46 AM, fuser ct1 wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> Despite searching I couldn't find guidance, or many use cases, regarding
> XFS beyond 100TB.
>
> Of course the filesystem limits are way beyond this, but I was looking for
> real world experiences...
>
> Specifically I'm wondering about the sanity of using XFS with a couple of
> 144TB block devices (my system will have two 22x8TB R60 in a 44 bay JBOD).
> My storage is used for video editing/post production.
>
> * Has anybody here tried?

XFS has been used well past 100T, sure.

> * What is the likelihood of xfs_repair/check finishing if I ever needed to
> run it?

xfs_check no, but it's deprecated anyway because it doesn't scale.

xfs_repair yes, though the amount of resources needed will depend on
the details of how you populate the filesystem.

On my puny celeron with 8g ram, xfs_repair of an empty 288T image file
takes 2 seconds.  Filling it with files will change this :)
But if it's for video editing I presume you will actually be fairly
light on the metadata, with a not-insane number of inodes, and very
large files.

But you do want to make sure that the machine administering the filesystem
is fairly beefy, for xfs_repair purposes.

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Which_factors_influence_the_memory_usage_of_xfs_repair.3F

> * Am I nuts?

Probably not.   :)

-Eric