Re: XFS: possible memory allocation deadlock in kmem_alloc on glusterfs setup

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 05:14:51PM -0800, Cyril Peponnet wrote:

> > On Dec 4, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> >> Yes sorry it was not clear enough, qemu-img snapshots no native
> >> snapshots.
> >
> > Ok, so that's a fragmentation problem in it's own right. both
> > internal qcow2 fragmentation and file fragmentation.

> >> A snapshot:
> >> https://gist.github.com/CyrilPeponnet/8108c74b9e8fd1d9edbf239b2872378d
> >> (let me know if you need more basically there is around 600
> >> live snapshots sitting here).
> >
> > 1200 extents, mostly small, almost entirely adjacent. Typical
> > qcow2 file fragmentation pattern. That's not going to cause your
> > memory allocation problems - can you find one that has hundreds
> > of thousands of extents?
>
> I found one with 10799109 :/ 576GB in size (I need to find why
> this one is so big this is not normal…)… Could it lead to
> the issue?

The memory allocation issue, yes. 10 million extents is
unusually high even for VM image files...

> I mean could one file cause the deadlock of the entire
> FS?

What deadlock is that? XFS is reporting memory allocation issues,
not that there is a filesystem deadlock. Your comments that dropping
caches make the problem go away indicate that there isn't any
deadlock, just blocking on memory allocation that is taking a long
time to resolve...

Cheers,

Dave.
--