XFS: possible memory allocation deadlock in kmem_alloc on glusterfs setup

Hi xfs community :),

We have a glusterfs setup running under centos7.2. We are using xfs as underlying storage for the bricks.
The volume is used to store vm snapshots that’s gets created dynamically from the hypervisors through glusterfs mount points.

While this is working fine we have some issues from time to time that make the mount points hang.

We have the famous XFS: possible memory allocation deadlock in kmem_alloc (mode:0x250) errors appearing from time to time on some of our gluster nodes.

Here is a related RH solution link that does not provide a “defintivie” fix.
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/532663

While a drop 3 of caches and a xfs_fsr can fix the issue for a random amount of time, it still occurring from time to time.

As a workaround I implemented a drop of the caches when the message is appearing + a defrag every 2 days… but that’s not really convenient and we still have the issue.

I know that doing an extent size hint will fix that for those files but I cannot use that as the hypervisors are creating their snapshots using glusterfs or nfs protocol. (and it’s not recommended to write on the glusterfs bricks either :/)

Do you have any idea on how to fix this deadlock in our setup?

Let me know if you need more information about our systems (like kernel version, underlying storage…)

Thanks a lot for your input :)

—
Regards,
Cyril--