Re: XFS + LVM + DM-Thin + Multi-Volume External RAID

On 11/24/16 2:44 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
- I've read that there are tricks and calculations for aligning XFS to the
> > RAID stripes.  Can use suggest any guidelines or tools for calculating the
> > right configuration?
>
> There is no magical trick :), you need to configure Stripe unit and stripe width
> according to your raid configuration. You should set stripe unit (su option) to
> the size of the stripes on your raid, and set the stripe width (sw option)
> according to the number of data disks on your array (if you have a 4+1 raid 5,
> it should be 4, into a 8+2 raid 6, it should be 8).
mkfs.xfs will do this setup automatically on software raid and any
block device that exports the necessary information to set it up.
In general, it's only older/cheaper hardware RAID that you have to
worry about this anymore.

So how do we know for sure? Is there a way that we can be sure that the hardware RAID has exported this information? In lieu of this, is there a solid way to deduce or test for correct alignment?