XFS + LVM + DM-Thin + Multi-Volume External RAID

Hello,

I'm planning a storage installation on new hardware and I'd like to configure for best performance. I will have 24 to 48 drives in a SAS-attached RAID box with dual 12GB/s controllers (Dell MD3420 with 10K 1.8TB drives. The server is dual socket with 28 cores, 256GB RAM, dual 12GB HBAs, and multiple 10GB NICS.

My workload is NFS for user home directories - highly random access patterns with frequent bursts of random writes.

In order to maximize performance I'm planning to make multiple small RAID volumes (i.e. RAID5 - 4+1, or RAID6 - 8+2) that would be either striped or concatenated together.

I'm looking for information on:

- Are there any cautions or recommendations about XFS stability/performance on a thin volume with thin snapshots?

- I've read that there are tricks and calculations for aligning XFS to the RAID stripes. Can use suggest any guidelines or tools for calculating the right configuration?

- I've read also about tuning the number of allocation groups to reflect the CPU configuration of the server. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks.

-Dave