Re: RPL lwtunnel encapsulation

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM Michael Richardson <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mathis Marion <mathis.marion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     > However, my observations suggest that it is actually not the case when
>     > forwarding packets. Instead, the IPv6 header of the packet is modified
>     > in a way which violates the IPv6 specification (RFC 8200 section 4):
>
> I have not sat down to read the code to understand what it actually does, so
> I can't really comment at this point.  I salute you for having gotten into
> whether the code is compliant.
>
> But, I did write spend way too much of my life writing
>      https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc9008/
> to deal with the perception that RPL networks had to violate 8200.
>
> I know that Linux does not (yet) deal with all the minutia in 9008.
> I wish that I had time to fix that.

To put everything into IPIP and back is not a question of doing a
iptunnel ip6tnl [0] and doing the right configuration... just do get
everything over "the internet" which I think is the whole reason why
putting everything into IPIP?

- Alex

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/net/ipv6/ip6_tunnel.c