Re: Register two 802.15.4 devices/interfaces in one driver

Hello.

On 03/06/2017 02:53 PM, Xue Liu wrote:
Hello.

On 02/17/2017 12:05 PM, Xue Liu wrote:

Hello Johann,

Hi Xue,

Now I am working on a driver for MCR20A radio chip from NXP. This chip
has a special feature: support two PAN networks. It means it can
operate on two different or the same channels with different PAN IDs,
short addresses and extended addresses. I suppose to add two 802.15.4
interfaces for this feature. And I have two questions:

1. how to add 802.15.4 devices ? Call ieee802154_register_hw() twice
with different struct ieee802154_hw ?

2. how to deal with tx and rx regarding two interfaces.

Thanks.

Dual PAN is something like nice to have.
I suggest initialy to implement only PAN ID 0 support. It is easier and
you
would have fewer problems with the sequence manager. If the driver is
stable
and tested, then you can expand it and add support for dual PAN.

I forgot to post my current work on Github.
https://github.com/xueliu/mcr20a-linux

Now it is somehow working for only one PAN. Now I am cleaning it and
testing other functions.

Nice, so you have something already.

I agree with Johann here that getting a basic driver in (without dual PAN
support) makes most sense. This will allow us to get the driver reviewed and
mainlined to have basic hardware support working. Once that is done more
exotic features like dual PAN can be supported.
This approach will also make sure that you are not stuck alone with this for
ages. :)
OK. I upload my dirty code to https://github.com/xueliu/mcr20a-linux.
It is working but I need more tests and clean.

Fair enough :)

Once you think it is ready (with single PAN support) go ahead and post a patchset for it and we can start reviewing to get it merged into mainline. Looking forward to it.

Might I ask what kind of hardware you are working with? Is there a board
running Linux with this transceiver hooked up directly or are you using a
off the shelf module with the MCR20A and attached it over SPI and GPIOs to a
board you are working with?
I am working with Raspberry Pi 3, a Arduino shiled and FRDM-CR20A.

OK, so kind of the setup I also imagined. Especially with the FRDM-CR20A board.

regards
Stefan Schmidt