Re: The 802.15.4 Security Layer

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:00:14PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 04:34:42PM +0100, Simon Vincent wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > Do you have your security/nl802154 work available anywhere I can have a
> > look?
> > I am in the process of getting 802.15.4 security working on our devices. I
> > don't want to implement it using the old interface as I will then have to
> > recode our application when llsec moves over to nl802154.
>
> I think what we do at first is a 1:1 implementation of the old interface
> and the new interface and then look what we can change afterwards if
> needed.
>
> We introduce then some CONFIG_NL802154_EXPERIMENTAL to change the enum
> definition (with security and without). I think then we are somehow
> safe to still change the netlink interface, inside kernelspace, afterwards.

What I meant here is something like [0]. We simple let the config add
the end of all declaration, if we add something to mainline then we put
it out of the #ifdef foo. (Above the comments) If we do that then the
CONFIG_NL802154_EXPERIMENTAL will be broken afterwards and the userspace
tool need to be updated. Without CONFIG_NL802154_EXPERIMENTAL it should
always be the same. Just the NL802154_CMD_MAX and NL802154_ATTR_MAX
will be a lesser value than without CONFIG_NL802154_EXPERIMENTAL. The
internal nl802154 framework should not react on these definitions then,
if somebody tries to use CMD's/ATTR's which are inside
CONFIG_NL802154_EXPERIMENTAL.

With CONFIG_NL802154_EXPERIMENTAL then the user need to care about to user
the right userspace nl802154 header in their application.

- Alex

[0] https://github.com/linux-wpan/linux-wpan-next/commit/4522252b9964227d1a3ce0b09c1aa0a6d95c3ba1