Re: 6lowpan with external radio

Hi Carlo,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 07:24:03PM +0100, Alexander Aring wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 06:55:11PM +0100, Carlo Vallati wrote:
> > Hi,
> > you can also take a look at this work in progress of mine [0] in which I'm
> > implementing a driver for the Xbee s1 cards.
> > The implementation is still a work in progress, so it has only the basic TX
> > and RX operations and it includes the latest subsystem changes (at least
> > the version included in the 3.16 kernel).
> > The driver communicates with the Xbee s1 card using a serial protocol to
> > receive/send raw data, while most of the 802.15.4 are implemented in
> > hardware (for this reason its structure follows the fakehard.c driver).
> >

> well, I removed now any HardMAC functionality because it never had any
> functionality. For example [0].
>
> This was used by the fakehard driver but there was no real netlink
> interface which used these calls. HardMAC driver is another topic for
> the future.

this will not mean that I don't accept HardMAC drivers. I do now a
rework of this branch which looks very similar like wireless/mac80211
afterwards.

The HardMAC functionality should be look like wireless. This
means a cfg802154 implementation inside driver layer. Also netdev
allocation/registration etc.. is inside driver layer. cfg802154 is just
a callback structure for the netlink 802.15.4 calls.

Really the current mainline HardMAC functionality was in some broken
state which never had any functionality.

I hope you are not too frustrated now. :-)

- Alex