Re: Promiscuous patches

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:34:45PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> > > We are implementing 802.15.4 on powerline.  If we had say a peer to peer
> > > network involving 4 different PANs and because we aren't restricted by
> > > distance as much as wireless we could potentially put one of the Coordinator
> > > nodes into promiscuous mode and then capture traffic from all 4 PAN's
> > > whereas if we are filtering we only see the traffic for the PAN(s) we are
> > > involved in.  Wouldn't this be more frames that just the filter?
> > >

> > I can't follow, with monitor interface you will get any frame from pans,
> > also all frame types like ACK's etc... you can also send some frames
> > (okay the 802.15.4 standard doesn't say that) but at86rf231 seems to
> > allow this.
> >
> > I need to show you moooore implementation details, then you know what a
> > WPAN/NODE type does on receiving and MONITOR will do on receiving.
> >
> > WPAN/NODE/COORD -> have hardwware filtering, addresses, FCS etc..
> >
> > MONITOR -> Doesn't filter anything, okay it filters when a SFD was
> >            receivied but nothing more.
> >
> > Now LINUX the "mac802154" does also do filtering stuff, but only on
> > WPAN/NODE/COORD because these are to interact practical in a network,
> > not just sniffing.
> >
> > On WPAN/NODE/COORD we have filter in mac802154, see [0]. This shows
> > frame parsing of data frames. You can more look into this how this works.
> > Now if you have address filter on PHY you will decreasing the load of
> > mac802154, because most of these frames are already filtered by the phy.
> >
> > NOW if you set promiscuous mode on WPAN/NODE you increasing workload but
> > the most frames will dropped at [0]. You don't get more frames into the
> > interface (userspace). You only increasing the workload of the cpu.
> >

> > On Monitor interface the PHY doesn't filter anything and the filtering
> > of [0] is disabled. It's directly send it to the interface so you can
> > see all frames, also frames which doesn't belong to you.
> > What a monitor interface does on receiving is [1]. Don't check anything
> > directly send it to the MONITOR interface. That's why I said "the
> > monitor interface is a big userspace playground - no filtering on PHY
> > and kernel is involved".
> >

> Is there maybe some practical use for being in promiscuous mode and
> operate as coordinator/node? Is that what you want?

I see this could make also big trouble because ACK handling is disabled
in promiscuous mode. So in ARET networks this could really make trouble.
On at86rf231 there is a switch to enable/disable ack handling, datasheet
describes always to disable ACK handling there, need to look what
802.15.4-2011 says for this.

- Alex