Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath9k-devel] [RFC 1/3] nl80211: add spec scan flag

Hey Jouni,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 03:29:36PM +0000, Malinen, Jouni wrote:

> On 11/28/12 7:19 AM, "Simon Wunderlich"
> <simon.wunderlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >The main reason why I wanted to use this function is that it can be used
> >while operation, that is sending power save, forbidding payload tx, etc.
>
> Have you looked at the remain-on-channel commands?

TBH, today was the first time I've had a more close look. :)

> >It seems there is no way to trigger a scan from within ath9k/debugfs,
> >right?
>
> I don't think there is nor that there should be.. Do you really need scan
> operating for this? I would use remain-on-channel commands from a user
> space app to go through the channels you want to analyze.

Hmm, that would be possible as well ... Using the scan function is very
convenient as I don't have to think about cycling, channel lists, etc.
But putting more control to userspace is also possible, if we can ask the
driver to just have a "quick spectral peek" on another channel.

Anyway, you'd suggest to use the NL80211 remain on channel command for that?
Or add a new "spectral scan" nl80211 command to do a spectral scan on this
(or multiple) channels, and use the various functions from mac80211/offchannel.c?

BTW, is there any limitation to remain on channel commands, like will they
work on AP ifaces, Ad-Hoc ifaces, MultiSSID in general, etc?

> >I could also cycle channels within ath9k, but the main problem I see is
> >that
> >I can't turn off TX/go into power save mode from the driver, or would you
> >see
> >anything feasible?
>
> Remain-on-channel should take care of that, but yes, that would not be
> triggered from ath9k, but from user space.

That sounds good. :)

Thanks for the hint!
	Simon