Search Linux Wireless

Re: rework on .flush() callback

On 11/16/2012 02:34 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
The problem here is that in brcmsmac the flush does the
>ieee80211_wake_queues() call, because that could also wakeup the netif
>queues. So doing it in the driver seems a bad idea. Any suggestion on
>how to solve this?
Yeah so .. I actually thought about this at some point, it's tricky. For
the global queues we check what reasons we had for stopping them, but we
don't do that for the netif queues. Maybe we should? I also think flush
should at least have the option to be per queue, so that we could do
something per sdata in mac80211 if the driver uses different HW queues
for different interfaces.

To me so from driver perspective, it was not clear what ieee80211_stop/wake_queues was operating on. Somehow the knowledge that the netif queues are already stopped upon calling ieee80211_stop_queues() should be retained.

Regarding the flush do you mean flush per queue or flush per vif? Per vif could have its perks, I guess.

However, I'm not sure I'll have time to work on corner cases with
software scanning since we don't use that. I might work on the flush
thing though, that could be interesting.

ok. The drv_flush() call is done in several places so not only scanning. All with the drop flag set to false. Is that just to be prepared or do you foresee an actual use-case?

Gr. AvS