Search Linux Wireless

Re: Questions on direct-cabling 3x3 MIMO systems (ath9k)

On 10/04/2012 04:48 PM, Julian Calaby wrote:
Hi Ben,

Pretty graphs are always useful. It'd be nice to compare other brands
/ models of card too, but I'm guessing that's outside the scope of
what you're planning to achieve.

Are you planning to open-source any of the software / hardware you're
making to do this?

I'm going to publish the code for the attenuator (including
eagle layout & gerber files for the Arduino shield).  Will market them
for sale as completed units too.  Will publish a simple command-line
tool to adjust the attenuation, and unit will have knobs to turn
so you don't really need a computer to control it anyway.

Nice! I wish I had a good reason to build one =)

We'll be able to test various APs..but on the client side,
I doubt we'll test other than ath9k anytime soon, although
I think our software would support other WiFi NICs if you didn't
try to do any of the virtual interface stuff.

Makes sense.

Ok, here's a link that has some pics of the attenuator and a graph
showing link speed, throughput rate, and rx-signal quality.  I have
lots more testing of various combinations, but plan to spend more time
on automating it before I do much more manual testing.

I'll not spam the list further with such links, but feel free to check
back on my blog...I plan to post more results there as I get the time.

http://bens-workshop.blogspot.com/2012/10/programmable-attenuator-arduino-shields.html

If anyone else has any similar data, I'd love to see it posted somewhere.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>