Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath9k bug in country domain handling

On 06/18/2012 02:25 PM, Erwin Van de Velde wrote:

The output I get is:
[ 8.931463] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x0
[ 8.931483] ath: EEPROM indicates default country code should be used
[ 8.931502] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
[ 8.931526] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x3a
[ 8.931544] ath: Country alpha2 being used: US
[ 8.931561] ath: Regpair used: 0x3a

As I see it, the regdomain is 00 and not US, so why does the ath9k driver
decide to put me in the US? US should not be the default country code, but

It seems natural to think that 0x0 is a 'neutral' region, far from it.
0x0 is US.

world reg domain. The preferred solution in my opinion is that the driver
would require a regdomain to be given if it is not already set by the card.
Choosing US as a default seems purely random . It would make far more sense to
have no restricions by default if no regdomain is given and require it as a
parameter, so everyone can set it correctly to his correct domain. The current
method not only disallows valid channels to be used, but can also allow for
legally forbidden channels to be used, which could be even worse.

You didn't read any links of my previous e-mail, please do it.

I can provide you some info how to fix it, out of this mailing list.
Because it's a bit annoying to buy a Atheros  wireless card, and ignore their
programmed values. Manufacturers: yellow stickers are cheap and visible!!!