Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath9k bug in country domain handling

Erwin Van de Velde wrote:

I have 802.11n cards with an atheros chipset with no default country domain.
Upon initialization, crda is set to US domain, after which I try to change it
to another domain, the driver only accepts further limitations: i.e. if a
channel is allowed in the US but not in Belgium, it is disabled, but the other
way round: if a channel is not allowed in the US, but is allowed in Belgium it
is not enabled.

"no default country domain" :-???

# dmesg | grep ath:

look for:
ath: EEPROM regdomain: XXX
ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
ath: Country alpha2 being used: XX
ath: Regpair used: XXX

This is a Atheros *driver* feature.
Channels are restricted based on the EEPROM value.
And crda/wireless-regdb only can makes things _worse_.

Solutions:
- modify the driver
- reprogramming of the EEPROM
- buy another board and keep away from Atheros chipsets

You should read:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath#Regulatory
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=125072768530674
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=125078520924477