Search Linux Wireless

Re: Master mode support in iwlagn?

Hi,

On Thursday 31 May 2012 11:09:59 Johannes Berg wrote:
> Please don't top-post.
>
> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 11:03 +0200, Erwin Van de Velde wrote:
> > What is the reasoning behind it? Why provide it for some wireless NICs and
not
> > for others? Seems quite odd for me and features like Internet sharing over
> > wireless are not that exotic, are they?
>
> This features requires extensive testing, space in the firmware that not
> all devices have, integration, etc. It's not trivial to port to
> different devices.

It certainly is not, but you can get some help from the software mac with that
regard. Since your device is capable of beaconing for P2P and GO modes,
Erwin's question is perfectly legitimate with respect to AP support. I suppose
that you could get it working without too much firmware work.

At the same time, since Intel's iwlwifi series are targetted at the laptop
market, and not AP/router solutions, it certainly was not in a roadmap to get
AP mode supported. Apart from pleasing people, that won't make you sell more
adapters.

My 2 cents.
--
Florian