Search Linux Wireless

Re: carl9170 - monitor mode TP drop

W dniu 25 kwietnia 2012 20:54 użytkownik Christian Lamparter
<chunkeey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał:
> On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 08:24:23 PM Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
>> W dniu 25 kwietnia 2012 19:28 użytkownik Christian Lamparter
>> <chunkeey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał:
>> > On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 07:28:18 AM Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
>> > You see without the BIT set, the hardware won't sent any ACKs
>> > (Not even those which are directed at this interface - which of
>> > course is also bad, or even worse?) and with the BIT set (and if
>> > the HW is in Sniffer Mode) then the hardware acks every frames,
>> > even if they are for a different stations.
>> > So your fix might break someone else's setup.
>> >

>> As I understand, some time ago we had wpa_supplicant AP (GO) mode
>> as a two interfaces: AP + MONITOR.
>> But now MONITOR is not used.
>> Do you know other setup?
> I think you are refering to the "cooked" monitor interface, which is
> just a monitor interface that gives you frames that mac80211 has
> not used internally [mac80211: Add cooked monitor mode support].
>
> In fact, most monitors are purly virtual interfaces, unless the
> device only has one interface and it is set into monitor mode.
> [So, if you don't want to deal with the RX_CTRL_ACK_IN_SNIFFER
> bit all you need to do is: add a monitor interface (rather than
> set the current interface into this mode) on your STA2 "client"
> <http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Adding_interfaces_with_iw>
>
> Note: This is actually the prefered, because you can use the "normal"
> station interface to connect to the web and listen to the air with
> the virtual monitor interface on the same device at the same time!]
>
>> So, maybe firmware should ACK  frames with correct destination address
>> only (if AR9170_MAC_RX_CTRL_ACK_IN_SNIFFER)?
>> Or that is not possible because of HW limitation?
> The ACK mechanism (as well as most of the MAC) is done by the hardware
> because of the critical timing [and lack of free space].

So, what steps you suggest?
I would like to record traffic from channel 6 and would like to not
have this SNIFFER ACK.

This is what I tried:
- ifconfig wlan0 up (no matter if up or down)
- iw phy phy0 interface add moni0 type monitor
- iw phy phy0 set channel 6
- ifconfig moni0 up

After last step I still see TP drop between AP and STA1 on channel6

BR
Janusz