Search Linux Wireless

Re: carl9170 firmware

On 04/18/2012 01:26 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 09:27:53 PM Larry Finger wrote:
On 04/17/2012 01:35 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 07:25:25 PM Larry Finger wrote:
A question regarding adding carl9170-1.fw to the openSUSE firmware package is
being discussed on the oS kernel mailing list; however, I do not see that one
in the linux-firmware git repo. Should it be there?
Does the repo take source code releases? [much like the work we do for the
kernel driver, or have you ever seen a binary release on this ML :D ]. The
files on<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170#Firmware_binary>
are just for convenience.

AFAIK, the repo only takes binary files. With the source under GPL2, that should
not be a problem; however, the fact that there are two versions with the same
name would be trouble. Adding under that name has the possibility of breaking
all the systems that use the other version.
I think I would need to read the opensuse ML discussion first to know why this
is a "big" deal suddenly. (do you have a link?)

On the other hand: I don't like the idea of supporting "old"&  "new" firmwares.
Usually they get mixed up and then you end up with "new" reports for
"old" bugs. In fact, p54 users' complain about that alot.

If the filename that the driver requests is changed, that should reduce the complaints. I would think that the current setup with two different, incompatible versions having the same name would be trouble.

The thread is at http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kernel/2012-04/msg00040.html.

Larry