Search Linux Wireless

Re: carl9170 firmware

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 09:27:53 PM Larry Finger wrote:
> On 04/17/2012 01:35 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 07:25:25 PM Larry Finger wrote:
> >> A question regarding adding carl9170-1.fw to the openSUSE firmware package is
> >> being discussed on the oS kernel mailing list; however, I do not see that one
> >> in the linux-firmware git repo. Should it be there?
> > Does the repo take source code releases? [much like the work we do for the
> > kernel driver, or have you ever seen a binary release on this ML :D ]. The
> > files on<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170#Firmware_binary>
> > are just for convenience.
>
> AFAIK, the repo only takes binary files. With the source under GPL2, that should
> not be a problem; however, the fact that there are two versions with the same
> name would be trouble. Adding under that name has the possibility of breaking
> all the systems that use the other version.
I think I would need to read the opensuse ML discussion first to know why this
is a "big" deal suddenly. (do you have a link?)

On the other hand: I don't like the idea of supporting "old" & "new" firmwares.
Usually they get mixed up and then you end up with "new" reports for
"old" bugs. In fact, p54 users' complain about that alot.

Regards,
	Chr