Search Linux Wireless

Re: brcmsmac hangs machine if loaded after busmastering disabled

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:32:39PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> I discussed this with hardware designer and here is his quote "You
> would need to disable the DMA engines before disable PCIe master
> mode. If you didn't do that, and the DMA engines were active, the
> MAC would almost certainly hang."
>
> So disabling the master mode solved your memory corruption, but the
> chip will hang. The DMA engines mentioned are the on-chip engines.
> As you indicated you can only use common PCI operations so I do not
> expect disabling BAR decoding will solve the hang in the chip.

Yeah, I can get away with putting generic PCI operations in the
bootloader, but a specific Broadcom driver is probably going a bit
far...

> Only as an experiment you could try to reset the device toggling the
> pci power state.

Should putting the PCI device in D3 be sufficient for this, or would I
also need to touch any state in the 802.11 core?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx