Search Linux Wireless

Re: Hacking PCI-ids to allow Atheros NIC into Lenovo laptop.

Hi Ben,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:58, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seems like laptop vendors are just being lame.  Why can normal PCs
> get away with no restrictions but somehow laptop makers have to do this??

>From what I've read, the issue isn't the card or regulatory itself,
it's the antennae.

In a desktop situation, you have a card with an detachable antenna,
and the card / antenna unit can be confirmed to comply with whatever
regulations are in effect.

In a laptop, the antennae are usually part of the laptop body, and
only the card itself is replaceable, so the manufacturer is locking
out cards that it has not tested with the built-in antennae.

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx